Passport is one of the most important documents when it comes to your identification, especially if you are travelling out of the country. When you travel abroad your passport is the sole document that you must always carry in order to prove your identity. Making a passport is not a tedious process if you have your documents in place. Your passport is valid for only a certain period of time, and once your passport gets expired you need to renew your passport. Read further to learn how to renew your passport:
For Online Applicants:
Online applicants can renew their passports by applying online, making online payment and booking an appointment. There are 5 steps involved in completion of this process:
Step 1: Online Registration:
- You must register for renewal of passport online on Passport Seva website.
- If you already have registered on the website, you can login using the link “Existing User? Login”.
- If you are new to the website, click on “New User? Register Now”.
- Select the passport office closest to you based on your current address.
- In order to register, you will have to provide your basic details including your name, date of birth etc.
- Further, you will have to create a login ID and password, set a hint question.
- Once you have successfully registered you will then receive an email to the address you provided.
- All you will be required to do is to click on the link mentioned in your email in order to activate your account.
- Once you log in to your passport account you will be required to click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”.
Step 2: Filling in the Application
- There are two options for filling the form available.
- You either download PDF form and fill it offline or fill the in the form online
- You will be required to fill in your current address.
- You can also update your details such as adding the details of your spouse.
- You will also be required to provide two local references along with their full name, address and phone numbers for police verification.
- Once you have filled the form online you will have to click on Submit to complete the application if you have filled an offline application you need to fill the application form and then upload it on the same page where you downloaded from. You must make sure that all the details mentioned by you are correct as you will not be able to make any further changes in your application form.
Step 3: Payment
- To apply for renewal of your passport, there is no payment required.
Step 4: Booking a slot
- To book an appointment you should click on “Schedule Appointment”.
- Select an available slot convenient for you. You can also select the passport office you would prefer to visit.
- Once you have confirmed your preferred slot, your appointment will be scheduled.
Step 5: Visiting the Passport Office
You can visit Passport Office about 15 minutes before your slot timings. Mostly, the slots are on time therefore you will not be required to stay long. If you need help you can ask for help at the enquiry desk. You will be allotted a group number, which you must be able to figure out. When your number is called you can go along with your group to the next room and start your application process. If you have mentioned your mobile number you will keep getting updates on your passport status. Once you have successfully completed the process you must submit all the required documents and the validity of your passport will be changed and returned back to you.
Documents Required For Passport Renewal Online
The Passport Seva Kendra website has a Document Advisor for renewal of your passport. You need to select your details for renewal of your passport and list of documents required will be generated. You must ensure you carry a copy of your online application. This document is mandatory for submitting your passport application online. You will need to carry the following documents:
- Original old Passport.
- Self-attested copy of the first two and last two pages.
- Self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self-attested copy of the validity extension page in respect of short validity passport.
- Proof of documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
- Self-attested copy of the page of observation made by Passport Issuing Authority.
Purpose Of Renewal Of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
Short Validity Passport(SVP) is issued in following cases:
- Students appearing for exams like TOEFL, SAT, etc.
- The Indians who are residing abroad and wish to travel to India
- Applicant has a criminal case is pending in a court
- Non-delivery of passport due to loss in transit
Validity Of Renewal Of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
The RPO/Assistant Passport Officer’s decides the validity of a Short Validity Passport. The maximum validity granted will be 10 years.
Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
The passport renewal process is quite simple for SVP. One can visit the Passport Seva Kendra office and make an application. These applicants can pay cash at the office.
Fees for Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
There is no passport renewal fee associated with Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP). The same booklet will be issued, with a revised validity.
What is the difference Between Renewal And Re-Issue?
Renewal: You can renew your passport if the validity of your passport has expired orif your passport is renewed for a short period of 1 to 5 years you need to extend the validity up to 10 years. After the renewal of your passport you will be issued the same booklet with revised passport validity.
Re-issue:- A reissue of passport is required when you need a completely new passport. In this case you will receive a new passport booklet and a new passport number. Re-issue is very commonly mistaken for renewal even at the passport offices. Passports are re-issued under the following circumstances:
- Change in personal details
- Expired or about to expire passport.
- Stolen Passport
- Lost passport
- Exhaustion of pages
- Damaged or soiled passports
Passport Renewal FAQs
1. What is the validity of a passport after the renewal?
The validity of passport is decided by the RPO or the Passport Renewal officer. The maximum validity granted is up to 10 years.
2. Do I need a passport agent for renewal of my passport?
Presently, the system is so easy and transparent that you will not need an agent. You can easily complete the renewal process on your own. However, if the applicant is not literate he/she can approach an agent.
3. How will I receive my renewed passport?
After renewal of your passport the same booklet will be handed back to you after mentioning the new validity of your passport.
4. Do I have to submit my original documents or will a copy suffice?
You will have to carry your originals to the passport office, although you will be only asked to submit self-attested copies of your documents. Originals will be given back then and there after verification.
5. My application form has a mistake. How do I correct it?
Once your passport application has been submitted you cannot correct it on your own, however you can visit Passport Seva Kendra and ask the Citizen Service Executive to make the required changes.
6. What are the charges for renewing my passport?
There are no charges for renewing your passport.